Monday, January 30, 2012

K2- Why Winter?

As the cold, dry weather of winter fell upon the coast, many flee in the hopes of finding warmer weather. The fall season gives them a chance to prepare for the long journey ahead, despite its frightful and persistent need to complicate one's flight. I've always wondered what it would be like to stay behind and endure the bitter chill of Mother Nature's breeze. I wonder how some tolerate the harsh weather at its severest, when it seems almost unbearable to live at the warmest point of the day. I would never have the courage to stay behind. I couldn't forget the warmth of the sun and the perfect time of day to soar through the clear blue sky. When there isn't a cloud in sight and there's just a small gust of wind to rest on when you're gliding through an endless space of blue is the most fulfilling experience of one's life. There's no enjoyment in the vigorous strain of escaping the callous season in fear of the horrifying realization of possibly remaining in this deserted wasteland of white ground and grey skies. I almost don't even want to wait for the fall season to begin. Why wait for the winds to get colder and colder as time passes on? Why not just begin the journey to happiness and freedom from the winter as soon as possible? If I were to pick the perfect time to soar, I would've left yesterday. Even though it's only the month of August, I'm already feeling a gust of the changing seasons. I can't wait for another month just to train for the flight. We've been flying our whole lives! How could we prepare any more for this trip? I don't understand why they all want to stay for the primary chill of winter, when we could just skip it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment