Wednesday, April 18, 2012

O2- College!!

"College has its skeptics, and the skeptics make good points. Does a four-year university make sense for every student? Probably not. Is the modern on-site college education necessarily the ideal means to deliver training after high school? Maybe not" (Thompson). I'm not going to lie, I really didn't think I would enjoy this article. I thought it was just going to be another article telling us to go to college because it will all be better in the long run, and that there is no excuse for not attending college. However, the quote above shows both sides of the argument being discussed and that shows open mindedness, which I like to read about. Like the article said, college is not for every student, but they definitely prove the benefits of going to college and getting an education further than high school. I am personally going to college to pursue a career in education, but I do understand the mind set of kids who are deciding not to go to college and go straight to work. It seems like it is the more beneficial and easiest way to get money in the future to go straight to a job, but this article shows facts and examples of how going to college increases your chance of a high paying job, which proves to be more rewarding.  "6.7 million NEET American youths to $4.75 trillion, equal to nearly a third of GDP, or half of U.S. public debt" (Tompson). This is just one of the multiple statistic recordings in the article which prove that not going to college is more expensive than going to college. I'm not saying that college isn't expensive, and I know that isn't what the article is trying to convey either, but I think the article justifies the fact that kids who don't attend college are having significant troubles that could've been avoided or decreased by getting an education and succeeding in a career they enjoy.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment